Saturday, July 3, 2010

Close Of Service Conference

"It is precisely the possibility of realizing a dream that makes life interesting." -Paulo Coeh

Beginning of May

A few months before Peace Corps service officially ends, they have what remains of the group that you came in with go to a conference. The purpose is a last time together, information about how to leave your village, medical issues, etc. and how to adapt back to America. I had greatly anticipated the fun part of Close of Service (COS), being at a resort outside of Dar with all my friends, but not really thought about that it actually means that my time in Peace Corps is coming to an end. It is safe to say that I had a bit of a panic attack when they began to talk about resumes, health insurance, saying goodbye to your village, interview skills, how many stool samples they need, buying your plane ticket to your home of record, that Michael Jackson died this year, that nothing in your life as you know it is going to be the same in a few months...

Without realizing it, I had succeeded in completely becoming wrapped up in being a Peace Corps Volunteer in East Africa, my foresight being where I should get water or charcoal, how to say "such and such" in Swahili, when I should go to Njombe next... Suddenly, everything seems to be crashing down. For the passed two years, I have had the identity of "The American", "An Image Villager", "A PCV"... who am I if I am no longer different because of those things? How do I go through the day without texts from Kate, Sarah, Mags, Greta and Kat? Did two years really go that quickly? Furthermore, I actually LOVE Tanzania. How does one say goodbye to a country? A Village?

There is also an overwhelming sense of pride. It probably looks small to anyone reading this, but in 26 years, finishing the Peace Corps was the most challenging, most rewarding, coolest thing that I have ever done. It is my biggest accomplishment, which makes it hard to let go of. I really lived for two years in an African Village. But it is over. Wow.

No comments: